What and How does Machiavelli teach?
• Is there a "Machiavellian Method" at work in The Prince?
• Seems to offer a practical, historically-based candid set of lessons that differ greatly
from older political theories
◦ Emphasizes drawing on lessons of history, including "ancients" for models or
rules of do's or donut's
• His use of history begins to suggest that he rejects dominant conceptions of the
relationship between traditional morality or virtue and politics and embrace strategy,
violence, deception, and tool of human manipulation
◦ doesn't use very positive examples of how to rule
Machiavelli's Uses of History
Series of lessons for gaining, maintaining a principality, and for acquiring further territory
• Model of Roman Empire vs. 5 or 6 errors of King Charles (France)
◦ what to do if you are ruling a country that was previously free/a republic
◦ positive example of Romans
1. go live there, or