History
Course
HIST 128
Professor
Matthew Andrews
Semester
Summer

Description
History 128 Lecture Notes 8/22/13 1. Civil War (1861-1865) a. Preserves a Union b. Leads to freedom c. 630,000 died during the war d. Lincoln assassinated e. Major Southern cities destroyed f. Southern plantations burned and looted g. Confederate money is now worthless 2. Freedmen a. What did freedom mean? b. What rights? 3. Reconstruction (1865-1877) a. Federal government attempts to reconstruct the South b. Rebuild economy c. Reconstructing race relations d. Each state had its own plan e. Reconstruction was an unfinished revolution i. Presidential reconstruction (1865-1867) 1. Relatively conservative ii. Congressional Reconstruction (1867-1877) 1. More radical 4. Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) a. Rapid reconciliation (main goal) th b. April 15 , 1865 Lincoln assassinated c. John Wilkes Booth found and killed in Virginia barn d. Thomas Corbett shot and killed John Wilkes Booth though he was only instructed to capture him 5. Andrew Johnson (1808-1875) a. Against succession b. 1864 Lincoln adds Johnson as Vice-President c. Lincoln was Republican (North, black civil rights) d. Johnson was a Democrat (South, white supremacy) e. Johnson doesn’t do much with presidency f. Believes in states’ rights and white supremacy (black inferiority) g. Very conservative h. Calls the period “Era of Restoration” instead of reconstruction i. Tells southern states to “figure it out” 6. Black Codes a. Laws enacted by the white southerners that applied to black southerners b. System to get blacks to work for whites c. 1865-codes get passed in the South d. Outraged Northern politicians History 128 Lecture Notes 8/22/13 e. 1866 Republicans seize control of Congress f.
More Less

Related notes for HIST 128

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit