HIST 262 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Viking Expansion, Beorhtric Of Wessex, Lightning

37 views5 pages
13 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

30 june and 1 july (and probably some of 2 july), 2017. Vikings: causes of expansion; the north atlantic settlements. Sources for first raids on british isles: british isles before the vikings a. i. a. ii. Several anglo-saxon kingdoms (english), welsh, cornish, scots, etc: anglo-saxon chronicle, 789 entry (regarding 787): in this year beorhtric took to wife eadburgh, daughter of king offa. Nor was it thought possible that such an inroad from the sea could be made. Preconditions for viking expansion: ship technology, sea-lore and maritime skills, previous experience c. i. Methods of making a living: trade experience (see below, weapons, training, ability to rally resources g. i. Possible causes and motivations: contemporary providential explanations: a. i. Fulfillment of prophecy: alcuin (northumbrian scholar at charlemagne"s court) cites jeremiah. 1:14, the lord said unto me, out of the north an evil shall break forth upon all the inhabitants of the land. : population pressure and limited resources, political and social rewards of plunder c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers