August 28, 2013
The Day After Tomorrow
• Ocean Conveyor Belt (p. 60 Environment)
• IPCC Projections for the 21 Century (p. 21 Dire Predictions)
o Summer 2013: Level of CO in atmosphere is higher than it’s ever been.
• Global Warming Impact Scale (p. 108 Dire)
• The Discovery of Global Warming Time Line by Spender Weart
Level of carbon dioxide gas in the atmosphere, as later measured in ancient ice,
is about 290 ppm (parts per million)
First Industrial Revolution: Coal, railroads, and land clearing speed up
greenhouse gas emission, while better agriculture and sanitation speed up
1824: Joseph Fourier
• Calculates that the Earth would be far colder if it lacked an atmosphere.
1859: John Tyndall
• Discovers that some gases block infrared radiation. He suggests that
changes in the concentration of the gases could bring climate change.
o 1896: Svante Arrehnius
Publishes first calculation of global warming from human emissions of CO 2
Much work focused on the cause of past ice ages.
o 1897: Thomas Chamberlin
Produces a model for global carbon exchange including feedbacks.