Fall 2016

Department
Geography and Geographic Information Science
Course Code
GEOG 151
Professor
Enru Wang
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
9/6/2016
The Premodern World:
Hearth Areas
Hearth areas (of the first Agri. Revolution)
transition to agri-based mini systems
more extensive and more stable
began in the Proto-Neolithic period (9000-7000 B.C.E)
breakthroughs: slash-and-burn; domestication of cattle and sheep
Hearth areas — where are they
Middle East (“Fertile Crescent”)
South Asia
China
Americas
Hearth areas: geographic settings where new practices have developed and from which they
have subsequently spread
Implications
higher population densities
change in social organization
specialization
trade
Early Empires
World empire
group of mini systems
common political system
Colonization
the physical settlement in a new territory of people from a colonizing state; an indirect
consequence of the operation of law of diminishing returns
Urbanization
towns and cities became essential as centers of administration, military garrisons, and as
theological centers for ruling classes
Premodern World Geography
Framework of human geographies
harsher environments in continental interiors maintained minisystems
dry belt of steppes and desert margins
principal area of sedentary agriculture
trade routes
The silk road: the dominant centers of global civilization were eChina, northern India,
Centers of capitalism
Importance of port cities
hinterlands
World Systems
The European age of discovery and expansion
the modern world system (an interdependent system of countries linked by political and
economic competition) has its origin in parts of 15th century Europe
16th century, new techniques of shipbuilding and navigation
Late 18th century, Australia and New Zealand discovered (other “external areas”)
motivating factors of European overseas expansion
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com 9/6/2016 The Premodern World: Hearth Areas • Hearth areas (of the first Agri. Revolution) • transition to agri-based mini systems • more extensive and more stable began in the Proto-Neolithic period (9000-7000 B.C.E) • • breakthroughs: slash-and-burn; domestication of cattle and sheep • Hearth areas — where are they • Middle East (“Fertile Crescent”) • South Asia • China Americas • • Hearth areas: geographic settings where new practices have developed and from which they have subsequently spread • Implications • higher population densities • change in social organization specialization • • trade Early Empires • World empire • group of mini systems common political system • • Colonization • the physical settlement in a new territory of people from a colonizing state; an indirect consequence of the operation of law of diminishing returns • Urbanization • towns and cities became essential as centers of administration, military garrisons, and as theological centers for ruling classes Premodern World Geography • Framework of human geographies • harsher environments in continental interiors maintained minisystems • dry belt of steppes and desert margins principal area of sedentary agriculture • • trade routes • The silk road: the dominant centers of global civilization were eChina, northern India, • Centers of capitalism • Importance of port cities • hinterlands World Systems • The European age of discovery and expansion • the modern world system (an interdependent system of countries linked by political and economic competition) has its origin in parts of 15th century Europe • 16th century, new techniques of shipbuilding and navigation Late 18th century, Australia and New Zealand discovered (other “external areas”) • • motivating factors of European overseas expansion find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com 9/6/2016 • enabling factors: shipbuilding, navigation, and gunnery • colonial powers: get gold, silver, and other resources/products; further improvement in technology • colonies: dependence • External areas • Trade and merchant capitalism • plantations • import substitution • Technological improvements and limits Industrialization in Europe • Diffusion • began in England, spread through Europe and globally • Three distinctive waves • 1790-1850: based on initial cluster of industrial technologies (steam engines, cotton textiles, and ironworking); very localized • 1858-1870: diffusion to most of the rest of Britain and to parts of NW Europe, particularly the coalfields of northern France, Belgium, and Germany (steel, machine tools, railroads, steamships) 1870-1914: spread to southern and eastern Europe • Core and Periphery • Structured relationship • core, semi peripheral, peripheral • Imperialism and colonialism Leadership cycles • • Portugal (most of 16th century) • Netherlands (first 3 quarters of the 17th century) • Great Britain (early 18th century — early 20th century) • The US (from the 1950s) • Hegemony Organizing the Periphery: The International Division of Labor • With the momentum of IR in the second half of the 19th century, industrial core nations began to penetrate the world’s temperate grassland zones and expand their colonies (in tropical areas) • International division of labor • the fundamental logic behind all colonization was economic • need for extended arena of trade • need for an arena supplying foodstuffs and materials in return for u industrial goods of the core • the outcome was an international division of labor • where an established demand existed in the industrial core • where colonies had a comparative advantage in specializations that
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit