Premium

2 Pages

Department
Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communication
Course Code
ALEC 102
Professor
Angie Monheim

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Define Culture
The collective be liefs , s ta ndards, customs, and a ttitudes of a group of people . Culture influence s
everything from pe rce ption to tra dition to be ha vior.
What are characteristics and functions of cultures?
The firs t characteris tic of culture is tha t it is ingra ine d in e ve ryone from birth. Culture s change beca use
the y're dyna mic, jus t like pe ople the y cha nge a nd a dapt to s urvive . Beca use culture is the re sult of
everyone’s colle ctive be lie fs a nd customs it dictates things like be havior a nd a ttitudes both informa lly a nd
forma lly. In other words , from the minute we a re born culture be gins to guide out be havior with things like
expecta tions of wha t's accepta ble and wha t's not. By ‘teaching’ these rule s it helps people fit in beca us e
everyone knows the s ta nda rds a nd e xpectations which are re inforced through our social circle s s uch a s
family, frie nds , a nd profe s s ors.
What are the elements of cultural differences?
The first element is that
What are the 5 orientations of cultural patterns? Give examples of each.
Activity orientation how a culture views human actions and their falue
Social Relations orientation is simply how people connect with one another and how they organize
themselves socially. For instance in America we value individualism, a common phrase that illustrates
this is Pull ouself up  the ootstaps. This is a phase used to sa that people eed to get up ad
get to work to get what they want.
Time orientation how we conceptualize and perceive time
Human Nature orientation sense of self, how you look at and define self
World Orientation view of nature and relationship with the world correlates with spirituality and how
one views themselves
Describe the types of Communication Context and what is important in each context. Give examples of
cultures that function in each context.
There are high context and low context cultures whose meanings are somewhat opposite of their
names. In high context cultures, meanings are internalized and there’s a lot of sigifigae plaed o
nonverbal communication, for this reason little background information needs to be given. An good
example lies in Japanese language and communication. The way that they speak to each other is very
direct and to the point but there are sublte nuiances in things like their tone and body language which
also help to communicate the message. High context cultures also view time differently than low
context cultures. Multitasking along with commitments to people and relationships with others are
characteristic of high context cultures.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Define Culture The collective beliefs, standards, customs, and attitudes of a group of people. Culture influences everything from perception to tradition to behavior. What are characteristics and functions of cultures? The first characteristic of culture is that it is ingrained in everyone from birth. Cultures change because they're dynamic, just like people they change and adapt to survive. Because culture is the result of everyones collective beliefs and customs it dictates things like behavior and attitudes both informally and formally. In other words, from the minute we are born culture begins to guide out behavior with things like expectations of what's acceptable and what's not. By teaching these rules it helps people fit in because everyone knows the standards and expectations which are reinforced through our social circles such as family, friends, and professors. What are the elements of cultural differences? The first element is that What are the 5 orientations of cultural patterns? Give examples of each. Activity orientation how a culture views human actions and their falue Social Relations orientation is simply how people connect with one another and how they organize themselves socially. For instance in America we value individualism, a common phrase that illustrates this is Pull yourself up by the bootstraps. This is a phrase used to say that people need to get up and get to work to get what they want. Time orientation how we conceptualize and perceive time Human Nature orientation sense of self, how you look at and define self World Orientation view of nature and relationship with the world correlates with spirituality and how one views themselves Describe the types of Communication Context and what is important in each context. Give examples of cultures that function in each context. There are high context and low context cultures whose meanings are somewhat opposite of their names. In high context cultures, meanings are internalized and theres a lot of signifigance placed on nonverbal communication, for this reason little background information needs to be given. An good example lies in Japanese language and communication. The way that they speak to each other is very direct and to the point but there are sublte nuiances in things like their tone and body language which also help to communicate the message. High context cultures also view time different
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit