BIOS 443 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Mannose Receptor, Innate Immune System, Opsonin

43 views4 pages
1 Sep 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Signaling: pathogens usually contain repetitive structures (which is what the ppr binds to) which are distinct from the body"s cells (these are the pamps, the three catagories (a closer look, secreted a. i) mannose binding lectin (mbl) (a. i. 1) Secreted and attaches to a bacteria to tag it a. ii) opsonization: a process by which proteins bind to a pathogen and facilitate it"s uptake and phagocytosis a. iii) Structure kind of like an octopus to bind well a. iv) Can facilitate complement cascade: endocytic b. i) macrophage mannose receptor (b. i. 1) The receptor for bound mannose binding lectin (mbl) (b. i. 2) Once bound, the receptor begins to phagocytose the microbe b. ii) scavenger receptor (b. ii. 1) Respiratory burst (to kill the pathogen: signaling c. i) tlrs c. ii) nlrs c. iii) Rlrs: location, location, location, toll like receptors (tlrs, signaling, activate nfkb pathways, know the most about these kinds of receptors d) Induces intracellular signaling cascades d. i) transcription of cytokines d. ii) transcription of surface molecules to interact with t cells e)