PSYC 181 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Lay Lady Lay, Tangled Up In Blue, Double Album

16 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The folk tradition: the left-wing folk song conspiracy, early 20th century i. ii. iii. John and alan lomax recorded many folk singers. Good night irene by leadbelly: woody guthrie and pete seeger, woody guthrie wrote songs about the plight (the struggle) of the common man including this land is your land i. Seeger black listed, sighted for contempt: senator joseph mccarthy helps to create a witch hunt mentality; folk singers go underground. The fifties folk revival: the calypso fad, late 1950"s: folk becomes alternate to rock & roll i. Then with traditional, non-controversial folk: music cut #22: tom dooley by kingston trio (#1 1958, the queen of folk, joan boaz i. ii. iii. 1959: performs at first newport folk festival, becomes darling of folk community. House of the rising sun by joan boaz: peter, paul, and mary i. 1963: record 2 dylan songs which hit top 10 c. Lemon tree : greenwich village scene, early 1960"s i. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers