MATH 1580 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Scatter Plot, The Graphic, Standard Deviation

62 views13 pages
25 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Statistics is the art and science of gathering, analyzing, and making inferences (predictions) from numerical information, data, obtained in an experiment. Statistics is divided into two main branches, they are: descriptive statistics is concerned with the collection, organization, and analysis of data; and, inferential statistics is concerned with making generalizations or predictions from the data collected. A statisti(cid:272)ia(cid:374)(cid:859)s i(cid:374)terest lies i(cid:374) dra(cid:449)i(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)lusions about possible outcomes through observations of only a few particular events. The ____population___ is the set containing all the people or objects whose properties are to be described and analyzed by the data collector. The __sample_____ includes some of the items in the population. An ___representative____ sample is one that is small replica of the entire population. Ex 12. 1. 1: random, stratified, systematic, cluster, convenience. Often the amount of data would not fit into a reasonable space if a frequency distribution included every single value from the original data set.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers