COMM 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: The New Jim Crow, Jim Crow Laws, Jeff Sessions

36 views1 pages
Using language that makes it easier to participate in a debate
Language use that helps the audience "follow" and remember your arguments. Grounded in the ways
that language structures thought
Signposting -- Providing short, easy to remember summary statements of your major claim at the
beginning of each part of your case.
E. Fo class hadout Rachel Mati’s iteie uestios help Paul Butle sigpost his cast
for an alternative to mass incarceration
Transitions -- Statements that reconnect subordinate claims and support back to major claims
Ex. (from class handout) Martin: Are you seeing any encouraging signs from your point of view in
the Justice Department as led by Jeff Sessions?
o Butle: Thee are points of light here and there. For example, the Sessions Justice
Department has focused on homicides against transgender people. Transgender women
of color especially are extremely likely to be victim of crime. Ad it’s geat that the
federal gov. under Attorney General Session is showing some support for that
community.”
Figures of Speech
Phrases that convey attitudes as well as ideas. They indicate how a speaker positions herself within an
argument and encourage an audience to assume a similar position.
Hyperbole -- Use of exaggeration for emphasis. As a phrase, it asks the audience to give it the proper
importance in the argument. It also arouses the audience's emotions.
E. Pictue ith oopol chaacte that sas Wh Capitalis loes pisos This iage
seems designed to transfer the feelings of those who dislike free market capitalism to their
feelings about mass incarceration
Antithesis -- Juxtaposition of contrasting ideas. As a phrase, it asks the audience to consider the ideas to
be mutually exclusive (you must choose one or the other). There is often an emotional investment in
the choices that comes from experience.
E Opeig “ociet Foudatios, Apil , : The pla is to ake salle jails i the
boroughs, near the courthouses, so failies ca isit, so it does’t take all da to go to a islad.
With smaller jails, you can have fewer guards, easing the tensions inside. It’s the opposite of
ass icaceatio. It’s decaceatio. Shorter stays are also a key part of this.
Metaphor -- A direct or implied comparison between two concepts
Ex. Jim Crow laws were passed by legislatures after the Civil War to legalize separation of the
races
Ex. The title of the book The New Jim Crow, serves as a metaphor for mass incarceration issue in
the U.S.
Irony -- Using a word to communicate the opposite of its usual meaning
Ex. Mass incarceration means growing political opposition to imprisonment.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Using language that makes it easier to participate in a debate. Language use that helps the audience follow and remember your arguments. Grounded in the ways that language structures thought. Signposting -- providing short, easy to remember summary statements of your major claim at the beginning of each part of your case. E(cid:454). (cid:894)f(cid:396)o(cid:373) class ha(cid:374)dout(cid:895) rachel ma(cid:396)ti(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:448)ie(cid:449) (cid:395)uestio(cid:374)s help paul butle(cid:396) sig(cid:374)post his cast for an alternative to mass incarceration. Department has focused on homicides against transgender people. Transgender women of color especially are extremely likely to be victim of crime. A(cid:374)d it"s g(cid:396)eat that the federal gov. under attorney general session is showing some support for that community. Phrases that convey attitudes as well as ideas. They indicate how a speaker positions herself within an argument and encourage an audience to assume a similar position. As a phrase, it asks the audience to give it the proper importance in the argument.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers