RHET 1030 Lecture 3: Basics of Rhetorical Analysis (2): Context

37 views2 pages
31 Aug 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Context: author influenced by the world around them a. i. What influences someone can affect how they try to convince you a. ii. Necessary to acknowledge how an author is influenced (and previous bias"s they may have) when addressing motivation: physical context b. i. What"s around when message is being delivered b. i. 1. Ex: dean speech-crowd of people hyped him up and his scream of excitement occurred, which detrimentally affected his campaign b. ii. What the object/image in the message is (usually this refers to advertisements: relational context c. i. Ex: science textbook: authors are educating you so they have more academic experience in science than the students reading their book c. i. 2. Politician speaking in front of a crowd-they have more experience in public speaking than the average constituent listening to them: cultural context d. i. Rules and patterns of communication in specific culture d. ii. The media was a large proponent in claiming the attack was religiously motivated because the shooter was supposedly muslim. d. ii. 1. a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers