Class Notes (836,128)
United States (324,350)
AMST 1154 (23)
Lecture 13

AMST 1154 Lecture 13: Fast Food Nation(3-20)
Premium

5 Pages
67 Views
Unlock Document

Department
American Studies
Course
AMST 1154
Professor
Rabinovitz Lauren
Semester
Spring

Description
Lecture 12 3-20-2017 Fast Food Nation: American Dream Big Mac Rap • 15 million hits • Food items so familiar they can be “decoupled” from what they signify for a song of rhyming over the beat • Parody of take-out, drive-thru ritual • Satire about alienated fast food worker Fast Food Nation “The Founding Fathers” – Heroes of Individualism & the American Dream • Ray Kroc: McDonald’s • Harland Sanders: Kentucky Fried • Food business: The American Dream • American success story of charismatic individuals • Build American industrial empires that represent American-ness around the globe • Optimistic faith in technology • “pulling themselves up by their bootstraps” • Success outcome of creativity & hard work • Narratives that reinforce core American values American Success Stories: Entrepreneurial Efforts • W. J. Kellogg • Carl Swanson • Domenico Ghiradelli • Clarence Birdseye • Charles Birdseye • Charles Lubin • Geno Palucci Who are we now? Food (map) • 1933 • 1950: 20% disposable income on food; 15% at home; 5% away Lecture 12 3-20-2017 Who are we now? • 2007: 9.8% disposable income on food – 5.7% at home; 4.1% away • However, low0income households (lower than $20,000 • Food at Home: • 2/3 supplied by supermarkets • 1/3 by “nontraditional food retail (i.e convenience stores, take-out, farmers’ markets, organic food stores) • Farmer’ markets: supply approximately 1% of nation’s food • Walmart supplies nearly ¼ of nation’s food ( Paradox of plenty 2012 • 5.7 % at home; 4.3 % away from home • Total: 10 % Who are we now? • U.S 5.7% disposable income spent on food at home • United Kingdom: 8.3 % • Japan: 13.4% • South Korea: 13.4% • France: History of “Fast Food” before MacDonald’s • 1890s-1920s: industrialization & urbanization create new demand for cheap restaurants for workers • Rise of cafeterias, cafes, saloons featuring cheap food & speedy service Rise of Drive-Ins: Eating in Your Car • New reliances on automobile in the 1920s • Improving transporation • 1930s: rise of state highway systems • 1957” beginning of interstate
More Less

Related notes for AMST 1154

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit