PSYC 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Tabula Rasa, Postpartum Depression, Sigmund Freud

45 views7 pages
10 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Psychology"s roots: aristotle (384-322 b. c. ) a. i. Suggested soul and body aren"t separate and knowledge grows from experience. Psychological science is born: wundt/psychology"s first graduate students studied atoms of the mind by conducting experiments at leipzig, germany in 1879 a. i. Structuralism focused on sensory to measure reaction time and internal behaviors term used instead of psychology or philosophy: william james (philosopher) wrote textbook in 1890 to argue against wundt"s theory b. i. Need to focus on observable behaviors we can measure b. ii. Functionalism instead of structuralism what behaviors are happening when we adapt to our environment b. iii. Mary whiton calkins student of james at harvard b. iii. 1. Apa first female president, wasn"t allowed to have a master"s degree because she was a woman: psychology originated in many disciplines (philosophy, biology, etc. ) Psychological science develops: 1920s defined as the science of mental life, watson and skinner emphasized the study of overt behavior as the subject matter of scientific psychology behaviorism b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers