LGST 240 Lecture 4: Unit 4 Video Notes

1 Page

Department
Legal Studies & Business Ethics
Course Code
LGST 240
Professor
Kevin Werbach

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
3.2 Game Thinking
Think like a game designer
Shell’s 5 words: “I am a game designer”
oReminds us that game design is a state of mind and something we’ve done before
We can cultivate game-making skills
Think about your problems as a game
Di$erent than being a game designer
Di$erent than thinking like a gamer
oYou need to think about the structure of the game
You don’t care about the experience. You need to think about the components to put it together
The game is not the experience.
Think about people who are involved in your game as players: Your participants as players
(customers, employees, community, target population)
Players are the center of a game- the game revolves around the player.
Players feel a sense of autonomy/control, that they can make meaningful choices, and that the
world revolves around them
Players play- play is a sense of free motion within a set of constraints that doesn’t necessarily have
a purpose
The goal of a game designer is to create that sense of game for a sense of purpose
The purpose is to get your players to play- make it enticing, easy, and smooth for someone to get
into the experience
And to keep them playing- not how do I trick them? But how to engage them for an extended period
of time
3.3 Design Rules
Rule 1: The player journey- the player is going through an experience
oThe journey doesn’t have to be 3D, just a conceptual path that they follow throughout the
game. You want a beginning, middle, and end.
oBeginning: Onboarding- how to get the player in the game as quickly and easily as possible
oMiddle: Sca$olding- how does the game provide training wheels that helps the player
overcome obstacles
oEnd: Pathways to mastery- does the game give the player the ability to conquer and give the
player some real skill?
Plant v. Zombies
oOnboarding
Guides that tell you what you do by
Highlighting something
Gives feedback and reinforces that you did the right thing
Limited options- so it’s dumbed down. You need the simpli;cation or it’s too hard to
understand
Limited monsters- only 1 so that it’s
Impossible to fail. It’s automatic that you’ll level up at the ;rst level.
oSca$olding
oThese 2 processes make it easy for anyone to ;gure it out and move onto the 3rd level where
you get the full experience
Rule 2: Balance- games must be constantly balanced in terms of di=culty for everyone, # of
choices, etc.
oNeeded at every stage
oi.e. Monopoly
The game has to give you money because of balance, otherwise players would run
out, and the game would end.
If the game gave you more money at the beginning, it would be too easy
oIf you’re trying to encourage people to do something on your site or encourage your
employees to do something, you can’t make it too di=cult or easy or not favor one thing
over another
Rule 3: Create an integrated experience
oi.e. Turntable gami;ed the experience of listening to music

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
3.2 Game Thinking Think like a game designer Shells 5 words: I am a game designer oReminds us that game design is a state of mind and something weve done before We can cultivate gamemaking skills Think about your problems as a game Different than being a game designer Different than thinking like a gamer oYou need to think about the structure of the game You dont care about the experience. You need to think about the components to put it together The game is not the experience. Think about people who are involved in your game as players: Your participants as players (customers, employees, community, target population) Players are the center of a game the game revolves around the player. Players feel a sense of autonomycontrol, that they can make meaningful choices, and that the world revolves around them Players play play is a sense of free motion within a set of constraints that doesnt necessarily have a purpose The goal of a game designer is to create that sense of game for a sense of purpose The purpose is to get your players to play make it enticing, easy, and smooth for someone to get into the experience And to keep them playing not how do I trick them? But how to engage them for an extended period of time 3.3 Design Rules Rule 1: The player journey the player is going through an experience oThe journey doesnt have to be 3D, just a conceptual path that they follow throughout the game. You want a begin
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit