Sociology
Course
SOCI 135
Professor
Hocin Fetni
Semester
Fall

Description
SOCI 135 Class 4 09/10/2013 Sources of International Law: Article 38 if the Statute of ICJ: ICJ: international court of justice—ICJ is only used to states or international organizations but not for  individuals▯ this is really the authority for national law ICC: international criminal court Treaties; international agreements i.e. Vienna Convention of International Law Customary Law Not written laws but it is something that is logical to keep the international community safe (i.e. if there is a  maritime war, innocent ships cannot be attacked); not based on the culture of a country but it is based on  the practices of the international community General Principles of Law Really sometime is common sense law; usually written usu lly born from domestic law (i.e. conflict of  interest) Precedent Is there a previous case that we can use as a base to the decision of the current issue?; based off the  verdicts of various international courts Scholarly work on international law Laws of the sea are who controls/has jurisdiction what part of the sea vs. maritime law which is what are  the customs of the sea during times of war; usually large powers in the international community have  touched upon these laws in the long span of their history Note: Rules that violate “jus corgen” occur when nations are not supposed to be involved in contracts that  align them against them against the international law If law is autonomous means that law has nothing to do with the customs or culture of a society—this deals
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 135

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit