Premium

3 Pages

Department
Urban Studies
Course Code
URBS 359
Professor
Rovner

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
1.26.17 Lecture 5: The cultural politics of human biological variation and milk consumption in
the US
Today:
Review lactase and lactose activity
Introduce terminology to describe biology phenomenon of lactase activity in adulthood
Carbohydrate review
Macronutrient
Most are found in plant products
Acceptable macronutrient distribution range (of all the calories you consume, what %
should be carbs): 45-65%
o Fat: 20-35%
o Proteins: 10-35%
Atkins diet gets rid of carbs, because carbs are associated with gaining weight
Most people are getting their carbohydrates from refined carbs
It’s ot good to liit our arohydrate aout too uh, ad ost of the should e
coming from healthy carbohydrates
3 kinds of carbohydrates:
o Monosaccharaide
o Disaccharides
i.e. lactose
o Polysaccharides
Lactose
Disaccharide = glucose + galactose
Foud i ilk ad ilk produts ad ooly referred to as ilk sugar
Cannot be absorbed directly, requires enzyme lactase
You need lactase to break down lactose in your diet
Lactase activity highest immediately after birth, which decreases with age in most
mammalian species
o Varies according to ethnicity:
80% SE asians
80% native americans
75% African americans
50% Hispanics
20% caucasians
10% north americans
o Know that there is variability in terms of ethnicity. When you think about what
groups tend to drink milk in the US and when thinking of nutrition programs, you
need to think about this. Are there cultural or biological reasons why that
particular group may not be consuming enough of a desired nutrient?
Variation derives from genetic regulation of lactase
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1.26.17 Lecture 5: The cultural politics of human biological variation and milk consumption in the US Today: • Review lactase and lactose activity • Introduce terminology to describe biology phenomenon of lactase activity in adulthood Carbohydrate review • Macronutrient • Most are found in plant products • Acceptable macronutrient distribution range (of all the calories you consume, what % should be carbs): 45-65% o Fat: 20-35% o Proteins: 10-35% • Atkins diet gets rid of carbs, because carbs are associated with gaining weight • Most people are getting their carbohydrates from refined carbs • It’s not good to limit our carbohydrate amount too much, and most of them should be coming from healthy carbohydrates • 3 kinds of carbohydrates: o Monosaccharaide o Disaccharides ▪ i.e. lactose o Polysaccharides Lactose • Disaccharide = glucose + galactose • Found in milk and milk products and commonly referred to as “milk sugar” • Cannot be absorbed directly, requires enzyme lactase • You need lactase to break down lactose in your diet • Lactase activity highest immediately after birth, which decreases with age in most mammalian species o Varies according to ethnicity: ▪ 80% SE asians ▪ 80% native americans ▪ 75% African americans ▪ 50% Hispanics ▪ 20% caucasians ▪ 10% north americans o Know that there is variability in terms of ethnicity. When you think about what groups tend to drink milk in the US and when thinking of nutrition programs, you need to think about this. Are there cultural or biological reasons why that particular group may not be consuming enough of a desired nutrient? • Variation derives from genetic regulation of lactase
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit