SPA 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Mi Casa, Llama

Department
Spanish
Course Code
SPA 101
Professor
Anastasia Allan
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
18 Useful Spanish Greetings and Introductions
1. Hola: Hello This is the most basic of the greetings, and can be combined with any of the other ones found
elo. No ou a sa, Hola, ueos días, o Hola, ueas tades. The h is silet!
2. Buenos días: Good Moig Liteall eaig good da, it a also ea good oig. Bueos
días is usuall used util oo.
. Bueas tades: Good Afteoo If ou at to sa good afteoo, ad it’s oe o’lok o late i the
da, ou a sa ueas tades. I “pai it a e used util late i the eeig, hile i ost Lati
American countries and the Caribbean, it may be used until the sun goes down.
. Bueas ohes: Good Eeig This phase also eas goodight. Alas e idful of the otext
since you could be saying goodbye.
. ¿Cóo está?: Ho ae ou? foal This is a foal a of askig ho soeoe is feelig. It’s usuall
reserved for older people of those of authority as a sign of respect. In some South American countries,
always use this one to be on the safe side. Are you conducting business? It is important that you inquire
aout a peso’s ell-eig efoe egiig a tpe of usiess talk. It’s a idiatio that ou ae
about your client.
6. ¿Cómo estás?: How are you? ifoal The s at the ed idiates that ou’e talkig to soeoe ou
sae age o ouge. If ou hea tutéae, ou hae peissio to addess the peso i the ifoal
way, regardless of age!
7. ¿Cómo están?: How are you? (plural) Greeting a group of people? The  at the ed ill idiate that
ou just said hello to eeoe. If ou ko the goup, ake sue that ou kiss eeoe. But if ou’e a
gu, kiss the gils ad shake the e’s hads. Taelig to “pai? “a ¿Cóo estáis? ko o es tais).
. ¿Qué tal?: Ho’s it goig? Fo soe it a e ifoal, ut i geeal this uestio a e used ith
anyone in a non-business setting.
. ¿Qué pasa?: What’s happeig?/What’s up? Talkig to ou fieds o soeoe ouge tha ou? Use
the phase ¿Qué pasa? You a also hea this oe he soeoe ats to ko if soethig is og.
10. ¿Qué hubo?: What happened? It is considered informal in some countries. Use it with your friends and
fail. Just eee the ule aout the silet h.
11. Bienvenidos: Welcome Want to welcome someone to your home? The Spanish phrase is pronounced
Bi e ße i dos. Keep the fial s if ou ae eloig oe tha oe peso. Dop the fial s ad it
becomes singular. If you are speaking to a female, you ill sa ieeida, ut fo a getlea, sa
ieeido. Weloig a goup of feales? Use the od ieeidas. It a soud hauiisti, ut
use the fo ieeidos if it is a ied goup.
12. Mi casa es su casa: My house is your house If you want to make someone comfortable in your home,
ou a sa, Mi asa es su asa. You’e ot eall giig ou house aa, ut ou ae idiatig that the
a feel at hoe. If ou iited soeoe ou sae age, hage the su to tu.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version