• 7 questions on a designed object (14 points each)
• 1 from each stage: inspiration-production
• 3% extra credit for answers in stages 6&7:
communication and productions (counts as journal
• Round 2: hierarchy analysis ("open book")-- how to make
it better according to the hierarchy of design's needs
Stage 4&5: Analysis of a Designed Object (exploration and
Journal The Anatomy of An Idea (due 9/18)
• Pick a design
• How much of the idea is in
⁃ Physical representation
⁃ Intangible, emotional response
• Break your idea up into
⁃ physical elements
⁃ perceived effect of elements
• What is the purpose of each entity/element/part?
⁃ Relative to other elements?
⁃ Relative to the whole? **Question your design**
⁃ Try substituting the material it is made out of
⁃ Conside a few variations
⁃ bigger, smaller, rounder
⁃ go to extremes
⁃ how the choice of color influences the "feel" of the
⁃ which "belong" and which do not?
⁃ How has this design been used before?
⁃ What worked what didn't?
⁃ If something should change, how can you effect
⁃ Consider ergonomic issues. What can you improve?
F.Production: ⁃ How is a design such as yours commonly produced?
⁃ Is there anything in the production techniques that