Premium

4 Pages

Department
POLI - Political Science
Course Code
POLI 360
Professor
Darmofal

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
POLI 360 – Lecture 16
Campaign Spending
oTotal spending has increased in presidential and congressional elections.
oMore money used to be spent on presidential nomination campaigns than in the
general election because candidates can use public funding in the general election.
This is no longer true because candidates can raise more money on their own than
they would receive from public funding.
oParties fund national conventions.
oTypes of Party Expenditures
1. Direct Expenditures: money given to candidates by parties.
2. Coordinated Expenditures: money given to candidates for polls, ads, etc.
by the parties. These amounts of money are limited, but this type of
expenditure does give parties more control over where the candidates
spend the parties’ funds.
3. Soft Money: money that can be spent on party-building activities.
Basically any money that is not spent on federal campaigns, including
issue advocacy ads.
Soft money was created indirectly when public funding was
relegated to preferable sections of campaigning, such as ads and
direct mail, leaving few funds for party building. The 1979
Buckley v. Valeo decision exempted federal funds from being
spent on party building activities.
oDemocrats were more dependent on soft money than Republicans because
Democrats had fewer individual donors.
oThe BCRA banned most soft money.
oPolitical Action Committees (PACs): political groups that fundraise and spend
money to influence different elections.
oTypes of PACs
Sponsored PACs: set up by labor unions, trade associations, or
corporations.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
POLI 360 – Lecture 16  Campaign Spending o Total spending has increased in presidential and congressional elections. o More money used to be spent on presidential nomination campaigns than in the general election because candidates can use public funding in the general election. This is no longer true because candidates can raise more money on their own than they would receive from public funding. o Parties fund national conventions. o Types of Party Expenditures 1. Direct Expenditures: money given to candidates by parties. 2. Coordinated Expenditures: money given to candidates for polls, ads, etc. by the parties. These amounts of money are limited, but this type of expenditure does give parties more control over where the candidates spend the parties’ funds. 3. Soft Money: money that can be spent on party-building activities. Basically any money that is not spent on federal campaigns, including issue advocacy ads.  Soft money was created indirectly when public funding was relegated to preferable sections of campaigning, such as ads and direct mail, leaving few funds for party building. The 1979 Buckley v. Valeo decision exempted federal funds from being spent on party building activities. o Democrats were more dependent on soft money than Republicans because Democrats had fewer individual donors. o The BCRA banned most soft money. o Political Action Committees (PACs): political groups that fundraise and spend money to influence different elections. o Types of PACs  Sponsored PACs: set up by labor unions, trade associations, or corporations.  Nonconnected PACs: no sponsoring organizations; usually conservative or liberal.  Leadership PACs: set up by incumbent congresspeople to distribute funds to other candidates. These types of PACs create alliances, which are highly valued by congresspeople looking to move up in the leadership. o People can donate as much money as they like to PACs. o Most PAC money goes to congressional
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit