BIOL 242 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Synapsis, Meiosis, Dna Replication

14 views2 pages

Document Summary

Crossing over combines dna inherited from each parent. Contributes to genetic variation by combining dna from 2 parents into a single chromosome. In humans, an average of 1-3 crossover events occurs per chromosome. 3 events are unique to meiosis, and all 3 occurs in meiosis i. Synapsis and crossing over in prophase i. Homologous chromosomes physically connect and exchange genetic information. Meiosis (can only occur in diploid cells) Occurs during interphase before meiosis i but not meiosis ii. 2, each including prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. Occurs during prophase i along with crossing over between nonsister chromatids; resulting chiasmata hold pairs together due to sister chromatid cohesion. 4, each haploid (n); genetically different from the parent cell and from each other. Produces gametes (in animals) or spores (in fungi and in plant sporophytes) Reduces number of chromosome sets by half and introduces genetic variability among the gametes or spores. Mitosis (occurs in both diploid and haploid cells)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers