The New Advertising and PR
• Define what advertising and PR is… and what it's not.
• Classify advertising by objectives
• Outline advertising process
What makes an ad good, or even great?
Rate the Ad:
Advertising Surrounds Us
• Most people in U.S like advertising because:
o it helps them with product information
o Supports Media they use
o Advertising can be fun.
• Branded message on cable channels on ESPN
• Branded message in magazines in ROLLING STONE
An offer for a "Getaway Weekend" at the Marriot Disney Resort that comes in
• Products you see on a game show like "THE PRICE IS RIGHT."
• Yellow Pages
• Sponsored sports team
o Advertising is the Communications process of using paid media to reach
a selected audience with a persuasive message.
• A Working Definition:
o A communications Process/Identifies Source
o Using Paid Media
o To reach a selected audience
With a Persuasive message
• A process that involves:
o Marketer: the person with the idea
What Advertising Isn't
• Editorial or programming content (blogs written by people who are paid by the
product to talk about how good the product is)
• Public Relations and publicity o PR: practice of managing the flow of information between an organization
and its public with the goal of positive exposure.
o Publicity: marketer's supplying information to media
• Sales Promotion: Short term programs designed to get consumers to buy
• Packaging: design and execution of a product's container/labeling
• Direct/Database Marketing: Distribution channel of marketing direct to end-
users using a database to eliminate intermediaries.
Integrated Brand Communications
• Combines communications tools of advertising, PR, publicity, sales promotion,,
packaging and direct marketing for maximum impact.
Classifying the Ads you see
• By media
• By geographic area
• By product/service category
• By objective