3 Pages

Department
Finance
Course Code
FIN 357
Professor
Dave A.Laude
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
1. Introduction to Corporate Finance
a. What is Corporate Finance?
i. The purpose of a firm is to create value for the owner
ii. Balance sheet model of the firm:
1. Assets (left side)
a. Current: assets with short lives (i.e. inventory)
b. Fixed: assets that last a long time
2. Forms of financing
a. Debt (loan agreements)
b. Equity shares (stock certificates)
c. Liabilitiesshort term and long term
3. Capital budgeting: the process of making and managing expenditures on long-
lived assets
4. Capital structure: the popotios of the fi’s finance from current liabilities,
long-term debts and equity
5. Net working capital: short-term management of cash flow (current assets
minus current liabilities)
iii. The Financial Manager
1. Finance activity usually associated with a top offer of the firm (VP or CFO)
a. Treasurer: responsible for handling cash flows, managing capital
expenditure decisions, and making financial plans
b. Controller: handles the accounting function (taxes, cost and financial
accounting and info systems)
b. The Importance of Cash Flows
i. Cash flows paid to bondholders and stockholders of the firm should be greater than the
cash flows put into the firm by bondholders/stockholders
ii.
iii. Sometimes it is difficult to observe cash flow because most of the information we get is
from accounting statements
iv. The value of an investment depends on the timing of cash flows (one dollar today is
worth more than a dollar the next year)
v. A firm must always consider risk because the amount and timing of cash flow is not
always a guarantee
c. The Goal of Financial Management
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1. Introduction to Corporate Finance a. What is Corporate Finance? a.i. The purpose of a firm is to create value for the owner a.ii. Balance sheet model of the firm: a.ii.1. Assets (left side) a.ii.1.a. Current: assets with short lives (i.e. inventory) a.ii.1.b. Fixed: assets that last a long time a.ii.2. Forms of financing a.ii.2.a. Debt (loan agreements) a.ii.2.b. Equity shares (stock certificates) a.ii.2.c. Liabilities—short term and long term a.ii.3. Capital budgeting: the process of making and managing expenditures on long-lived assets a.ii.4. Capital structure: the proportions of the firm’s finance from current liabilities, long-term debts and equity a.ii.5. Net working capital: short-term management of cash flow (current assets minus current liabilities) a.iii. The Financial Manager a.iii.1. Finance activity usually associated with a top offer of the firm (VP or CFO) a.iii.1.a. Treasurer: responsible for handling cash flows, managing capital expenditure decisions, and making financial plans a.iii.1.b. Controller: handles the accounting function (taxes, cost and financial accounting and info systems) b. The Importance of Cash Flows b.i. Cash flows paid to bondholders and stockholders of the firm should be greater than the cash flows put into the firm by bondholders/stockholders b.ii. b.iii. Sometimes it is difficult to observe cash flow because most of the information we get is from accounting statements b.iv. The value of an investment depends on the timing of cash flows (one dollar today is worth more than a dollar the next year) b.v. A firm must always consider risk because the amount and timing of cash flow is not always a guarantee c. The Goal of Financial Management c.i. GOAL = MAKE MONEY or add value for the owner c.ii. Possible goals: survive, avoid bankruptcy, beat out competition, maximize profit, maintain steady earnings growth  vague? c.ii.1. However, the two main goals are: maximize profits and stability/bankruptcy avoidance c.iii. Goal of the financial manager: maximize the current value per share of the existing stock c.iii.1. If stockholders are winning (residual portion is growing), it must
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit