Mus 303m: Into to Traditional World
I. Unit 1Introduction
A. What is “music”? Ideas about music
1. What is noise?
• A bunch of disorganized sounds that sound displeasing to
• Sometimes refers to extra sounds added to “music”
• What might be noise to one could be heard as music to
another and vice versa
• Ex. Black Turkish Metal
2. What is sound?
• The Sonic environmentsoundscape denotes characteristic
sounds of a particular place, both human an nonhuman
• Ex. Clock tower, 6 street,
3. What is music?
• Music is a particular kind of harmony organized sound that
also organize humanity
B. Working Definition of music
• A system of nonlexical patterned sounds that can function as signs
• Signsomething that stands for something else
• As sonic signs musical sounds encoded culturallyspecific
• As signs, musical sounds can be polysomic
• Polysomic having multiple meaning
• While all known societies have “music,” meanings in musical
sound are not universally understood
• Musical meanings are understood through enculturation
C. Is it music?
1. Ex. 1: “Call to prayer” (Ezan/Adhan)
a. The “Call to Prayer” is used to remind Muslims to pray 5
times a day
b. To preform Ezan/Adhan is “to read” or “to recite”
c. Not considered music
d. Text in Arabic, sacred word of God/Allah
e. Ezan/Adhan is integral part of soundscape where orthodox
Islam is dominate religion
2. Ex. 2: “4’33” by John Cage
a. “4’33” is written in 1952 and preformed in 1952
b. the work is three measures of silence
c. Peter’s Edition 6777a published 1993 d. It is Considered music because the intention was to get the
audience to not only pay attention to the silence but truly
listen to the sounds of nature
e. He did this by having the back of the venue open to nature
f. This is an example of enculturation
1. Star Spangled Banner
a. What words do you sing?
• “O sake can you see”
b. What actions do you do?
• Stand up, put your hand over your heart
c. What feelings are aroused?
• Pride and Patriotism
d. In which context would you hear this?
• Football games, President speeches
2. Other versions of Star Spangled Banner sung
a. Jose Feliciano Baseball game