Social and Cultural Capital
Thursday, October 18, 2012
How does social class influence our lives?
Can we change our social class?
• Developed by French sociologist Bourdieu
• "… Collection of culture, skills and knowledge that come from your family background"
• Three forms of cultural capital:
1. Embodied: Represents what the individual can do. Increase embodiment by
putting time into self improvement
2. Objectified: Material object that represents a cultural good. Ex: White bread,
fancy kitchen tools, logos, brand of clothing in "People like us"
3. Institutionalized State: Certificate of cultural confidence. Ex: Academic credential
Lareau and Home Advantage
• Was interested with how parents interacted with teachers and administrators. Who was
involved? Those with more money. Higher class felt more confident in requesting change
and approaching administration.