PSCI 3362 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Spoils System, Strategic Planning, Public Administration

13 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lewis"s 4 main propositions: politicization is more likely to occur in agencies where there is greater ideological differences o. Expert survey - asking journalists to rank given agencies by liberal to conservative. Allows them to know, if the president is democrat and agency is conservative, there is a bigger gap. Agencies that are liberal and moderate have less problem/clashing with president so less politicization: change is party in white house, increase in politicization (election of a new president and change in parties) i. Liberal president will target conservative agencies and conservative presidents will target liberal agencies i. Not friendly b: politicization decreases as sensitivity of agency competence increases, more technical agencies are, less political i. ii. Can do a lot of harm to nasa by putting in presidential appointments, sensitive to politicization and therefore it doesn"t happen: more private industry jobs are available to bureaucrats, the less politicization i. Fema had issues with katrina because of too many political appointees.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers