POLS 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Mao Zedong, United States Marine Corps, Xi Jinping

17 views3 pages

Document Summary

Class 20: the future of russian politics. 1: elections are largely fair, but opposition rallies are limited and there is little coverage of opposition parties in the state run media, little faith in democracy rising rates of crime and corruption b. i. Cheat at taxes because historically didn"t have to pay income taxes b. ii. Importance of having an independent media - last remaining independent. Tv station was bought out in 2001: military was rusting and underutilized, now putin has started to modernize forces c. i. New cruise missile technology, new fighter aircrafts c. ii. Model forces on us marines deploy quickly and get forces in quickly: judiciary is somewhat independent, but no ability to enforce rulings d. i. Don"t treat it as an equal branch of government: putin and medvedev, vladimir putin a. i. President from 2000-2008 and 2012-today -> term limits initially an obstacle a. ii. Largely popular (65-75% approval rating) and a history of being a former.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers