POLS 240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act, Merit System

23 views1 pages

Document Summary

Pols 240: meaning of public administration, public policy: formation and execution, definition a. i. Outcome of the struggle in government over who gets what a. ii. Policies have goals and are made by government a. v. a. vi. Implemented by public and private actors: what is a policy b. i. Statement by government of what it intends to do or not do about public problem: forms of policies c. i. Policy adoption and implementation: administrative responsibility a. i. Regulations and procedures limit administrators" discretionary authority a. ii. Have responsibility to elected officials but also long term goals, effectiveness, resistance to corruption, legislative and judicial mandates: politics administration dichotomy b. i. Administrators" involvement in policy process blurs line between political decisions and administration b. ii. Pendleton act merit system in federal bureaucracy by instituting civil service reforms b. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers