IS 3003 Lecture 5: Notes - Hardware & Software

105 views5 pages

Document Summary

It infrastructure: provides platform for supporting all information systems in the business. mainframes: computer hardware: physical devices you"re using. Connecting computers: types of computers capabilities than a pc, personal computers: desktops, laptops, mobile devices, workstation: more powerful mathematical and graphics-processing, servers: support computer network, sharing files and resources. Mainframes: large capacity, high performance computer that can process large amounts of data very rapidly i. ii. Used by airlines to handle thousands of reservations per second. Splits processing between clients and servers i. Servers: store and process shared data and perform network management activities: computer networks - linking computers, processing types of computer networks i. ii. Centralized: processing is done by one large central computer. Distributed: processing power is distributed among several locations; multiple computers are linked by a communications network for processing. Splits the workload of processing between the clients and servers: two-tiered client/server architecture: uses two types of machines, a client computer networked to a server computer.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers