Fall 2015

Department
IS - Information Systems
Course Code
IS 3003
Professor
Nasim Talebi
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
IS3003
Building Information Systems
Chapter 12
DIFFERENT WAYS OF DEVELOPING INFORMATION SYSTEMS
1. PROBLEM SOLVING AND SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT
a. ISasSolutionstoProblems
i. 4stepstobuildingandIS
1. Defineandunderstandproblem
2. Developalternativesolutions
3. Choosesolution
4. Implementthatsolution
ii. Thefirst3stepsaresystemanalysis
iii. Thelaststep(implementingthesolution)issystemsdesign
b. SystemDevelopment(ProblemSolvingApproach)
i. Step1:DefiningandUnderstandingtheproblem
1. Whatcausedtheproblems
2. Whydoesitpersist?
3. Whyhasn'titbeensolved?
4. Whataretheobjectivesofasolution?
5. ConductaRequirementAnalysistodeterminetheInformation
Requirementsofthenewsystem.
ThemoretimeandmoneyspentonStep1,themorelikely
youaretobesatisfiedandgettheresultsyouwant.
ii. Step2:DevelopAlternativeSolutions
1. Developalternativesolutionstoachievetheobjectivesand
InformationRequirementsthatwereidentified
2. Somesolutionsdonotrequireaninformationsystem
3. Somesolutionsrequiremodificationofexistingsystems
4. Somesolutionsrequireanewsystem.
iii. Step3:EvaluatingandChoosingSolutions
1. ConductaFeasibilityStudytodeterminewhethereachalternativeis
feasibleandachievable
Isthesolutionfeasiblefromfinancial,technical,and
organizationalstandpoint?

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
IS3003 BuildingInformationSystems Chapter 12 DIFFERENT WAYS OF DEVELOPING INFORMATION SYSTEMS 1. PROBLEM SOLVING AND SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT a. IS as Solutions to Problems  i. 4 steps to building and IS  1. Define and understand problem  2. Develop alternative solutions  3. Choose solution  4. Implement that solution  ii. The first 3 steps are ​system analysis  iii. The last step (implementing the solution) is ​systems design  b. System Development (Problem Solving Approach)  i. Step 1: Defining and Understanding the problem  1. What caused the problems  2. Why does it persist?  3. Why hasn't it been solved?  4. What are the objectives of a solution?  5. Conduct a Requirement Analysis to determine the ​Information  Requirements​ of the new system.  ○ The more time and money spent on Step 1, the more likely  you are to be satisfied and get the results you want.  ii. Step 2: Develop Alternative Solutions  1. Develop alternative solutions to achieve the objectives and  Information Requirements​ that were identified  2. Some solutions do not require an information system  3. Some solutions require modification of existing systems  4. Some solutions require a new system.  iii. Step 3: Evaluating and Choosing Solutions  1. Conduct a ​Feasibility Study​ to determine whether each alternative is  feasible and achievable  ○ Is the solution feasible from financial, technical, and  organizational standpoint?  1 2. Design a​ systems proposal report­ ​Describes, for each alternative  solution:  ○ Costs and benefits  ○ Advantages and disadvantages  iv. Step 4: Implementing the Solution  1. Systems design stage:​ Systems design is the detailed design, model or  blueprint for the system  ○ This includes:  i. Hardware selection and acquisition  ii. Software development and programming  iii. Testing  iv. Training and documentation  v. Conversion  vi. Production and Maintenance  vii. Managing the Change  2. Training and Documentation  ○ Training:​ For successful implementation to occur, users will  require training so they will be able to use the new system.  Different types of training are available: online, face to face,  built in help features, etc  ○ Documentation:​ Shows how the system works from both a 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit