HISA 3003 Lecture 15: Bangladesh I

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Virginia
History-South Asian History
HISA 3003
Nabaparna Ghosh

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 Lecture XV Bangladesh I HISA 3003 Bangladesh Introductory Facts Capital = Dhaka Population = 10 million Parliamentary Democracy Ofcial Language = Bangla Dominant Religion = Islam However, country is secular Jute Industry Jute industry and been growing under the East India company The Adamjee family, Tatas, Birlas nanced the industry Adamjee Haji Dawood [1880 1948] Financed the Muslim League Additionally nanced the jute industry in East India However, once he moved to West Pakistan he nanced banks in W. Pakistan Hence, the jute industry lost Adamjees nancing because it was in East Pakistan Jute Industry began to decline with this because the Tata and Birla families also stopped nancing the Jute industry because it was too dicult to travel to East Pakistan (Bangladesh) cultivating riots Domination of Urdu in (BOTH) Pakistan Argument that Urdu would kill and create two provinces Language = culture 1
More Less

Related notes for HISA 3003

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.