PSYCH 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Anal Retentiveness, Sigmund Freud, Anal Stage

65 views7 pages

Document Summary

Personality: enduring and distinctive thoughts, emotions, and behaviors that characterize the way an individual adapts to the world. Sigmund freud and charcot: charcot using hypnosis to treat conversion disorder (hysteria, people had physical maladies but it wasn"t from a real problem i. Hypothesized there was something psychologically wrong, under hypnosis their issues when away: breuer"s talking cure (start of psychotherapy, sit with patients and let them talk. uncover or come across causes of their disorder. Freud"s theory: early childhood conflicts have lasting effects, personality is largely shaped by unconscious forces, do things without fully understanding why, 2 drives that shaped our behavior, life instinct (eros) You want to be dead, quiet undisturbed state. Take death instinct and turn it out to other people, anger i. ii. i. Id: the structure of personality. picture of screaming baby. most primitive: wants gratification, and wants it immediately. (now now) ii. iii, ego i. ii. Rigid and moralistic (no no: super ego i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers