BSCI 1511 Lecture Notes - Lecture 25: Pangenesis, Fokker E.Ii, Continental Drift

55 views3 pages

Document Summary

Bird beak microevolution example: drought large-seed environment beaks get bigger. Macroevolution example: python chicken: huge distance between snake and bird, but both vertebrates at skeletal level, can see homologous structure at skeletal level, genes that determine the basic ground plan of the structures are the same. For most of human history, species were assumed to be unchangeable: species were not variable but fixed, species are arranged on a ladder of increasing complexity called the great chain of being or scala naturae. Interpreted organismal adaptations as evidence that the creator had designed each species for a specific purpose a. i. Accepted that species are fixed: linnaeus was the founder of taxonomy, the branch of biology concerned w/ classifying organisms b. i. Developed the binomial format for naming species c. In contrast to scala naturae, linnaeus" system was not linear but nested c. i. Species were nested within genera, genera nested w/in families etc: linnaeus = kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers