INSC 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Chemical Energy, Electrical Energy, Sony Ten

71 views2 pages

Document Summary

Power= rate of energy consumption= energy per unit time: units of watts (1 w = 1 joule/sec) or kilowatts (1 kw=1kj/sec) The u. s. per capita power consumption is ~10kw (ten 1 kw hair dryers. Energy = power x time: 1kwh= 3600 kj. Windmills can range in power from hundreds of kw to a few mw. The largest (cid:449)i(cid:374)d(cid:373)ills for (cid:862)(cid:449)i(cid:374)d(cid:373)ill far(cid:373)s(cid:863) t(cid:455)picall(cid:455) ha(cid:448)e a (cid:373)a(cid:454)i(cid:373)u(cid:373) po(cid:449)er capacity of about 1 mw. The human heart has a power output of 1-5 w. Potential= energy of position: associated with height of object from ground. Thermal= energy of motion of atoms of molecules. Electrical= energy of current flowing in a circuit: more energy is needed to generate electricity because of inefficiencies, electrical current= motion of electrons, electrical voltage= difference in charge causing current. Chemical= energy of atomic and molecular bonds. Nuclear= energy from breaking or joining nuclei. The definition of energy becomes increasingly abstract with increasing exposure.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers