COMM 2064 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Deductive Reasoning, Kenneth Burke, Enthymeme

18 views2 pages
15 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

How polus defines rhetoric in the dialogue: the noblest of the arts. How gorgias defines rhetoric in the dialogue: an art concerned with words. What significant distinction about absolute knowledge (episteme) and belief (doxa) Socrates gets gorgias to admit: rhetoricians produce beliefs about justice, and not real knowledge. How socrates defines rhetoric and the other parts of the whole of which socrates argues rhetoric is only a part (i. e. , the true arts vs. the false arts ): he calls it a knack. How aristotle emphasized empiricism (i. e. , in his own research), the empirical method: How aristotle defined the good (eudemonia and telos): What aristotle thought was the best life and the second best life for human beings to live: best life to live would be the socratic life, but it is not practical. The relationship of rhetoric to dialectic (antistrophos): rhetoric is the counterpart to dialectic. The reasons aristotle argued that we need rhetoric (i. e. , why rhetoric is useful)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers