HD 4324 Lecture 4: 4 Intersectionality Lecture Outline
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Intersectionality Lecture Outline
Multiple partner fertility
Accomplishment of natural growth
Emerging sense of entitlement
Emerging sense of constraint
• What is intersectionality?
o Personal Example
o Examples from Lareau reading
o More assumptions
• White Privilege
• Myth of Meritocracy
• Research Problems
• Usefulness of Intersectionality
In-class activity: Personal reflection
1. Has your life been affected by racism, sexism, classism, or religious discrimination?
2. Has your life been affected by individuals or groups of people discriminating between
social classes in any other way, yes or no? If yes, what categories are relevant to you?
3. What is your race/ethnicity, sex, gender,