PHIL 1504 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Ignoratio Elenchi, Slot Machine, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

31 views2 pages

Document Summary

Occurs when the premises of an argument state that nothing has been proved one way or the other about something, and the conclusion then makes a definite assertion about that thing. No one has proved the moon landing wasn"t faked. Appeal to unqualified authority staged by the government . Occurs when the cited authority or witness lacks credibility. Jenny mccarthy isn"t an authority on vaccines, autismetc but she still. Single or few instances of a phenomenon are used to infer a general rule, despite not being representative of cases at large. P1: juliette crashed her car into a bridge. False/questionable cause fallacies occur whenever the link between premises and conclusion depends on some imagined causal connection that may not exist. Variety of fallacy presupposes that just bc one event precedes another event, the first event causes the second. I wore my jersey and then my team won. Therefore, my jersey is lucky and causes teams to win.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers