PSCI 2014 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Fourth Wall, Social Dilemma, Fokker E.Ii

28 views2 pages

Document Summary

Myth, tragedy and the poets: aristophanes a. i. Sees socrates as a threat to order a. ii. Breaks the fourth wall in his plated to give context about his own opinions a. iii. Denounces socrates" beliefs as dangerous, makes the athenian crisis worse through his teachings b. Is philosophy ever really able to answer the questions it poses: socrates c. i. All i know is that i know nothing c. ii. Through reasoning we can find new ways of understanding. Theatre in athenian society: participation by all of society, aristophanes" plays very much tried to capture the social life of athens, bringing to light the flaws and contradiction to society to keep society honest. Poetry as cultural cornerstone: defending the tradition, social, not political b. i. Social satire as comedy and revelry: celebrating the real life c. i. Socrates teaches and sways from athenian tradition: what is enough to get the people to participate (greek democracy, revelry was a large part of poetry, people enjoying themselves f.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers