PSYC 2084 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: When Prophecy Fails, Leon Festinger, Affective Forecasting

20 views3 pages
16 Mar 2019
Department
Course

Document Summary

When prophecy fails - the seekers: dorothy martin aka marian keech - automatic writing from planet clarion, automatic writing - not thinking, someone is writing through them. Self affirmation for dissonance reduction: when a person focuses on one or more of their good qualities to lesson dissonant sting caused by "bad" behavior, robinhood: steal from the rich, but i"m giving to the poor, disappointment. Impact bias: tendency to overestimate the intensity and duration of one"s emotional reactions to future negative events. "immune neglect" - neglecting our own immune system that is fighting off the negative emotions: 6 studies foudnt eh people overestimate their levels of unhappiness after breakups, negative personality feedback, rejection, resilience, happens mostly subconsciously. If you ever went out for a team and not go it. "maybe i wasn"t meant for that team, like it"s better that i don"t play with them, i wouldn"t have liked it"

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers