SOC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Dependency Theory, Social Class, Working Poor

127 views4 pages

Document Summary

What is social stratification: a system by which society ranks categories of people in a hierarchy. , 4 basic principles, 1. Dependency theory: exploitation of poor countries by rich countries, modernizing theory, poverty is a result of technological and cultural differences b. It carries over from generation to generation i. Social mobility: a change in position within the hierarchy (horizontal or vertical) c. d. Income: wages or salary from work and earnings from investments, median u. s. income in 2017=,000 ii. iii. Richest 20% receive almost 50% of all income. Poorest 20% receive only 4% of all income: wealth, the total value of money and other assets, minus outstanding debts i. ii. Richest 20% own 89% of the countries wealth. Poorest 20% own -1. 4% (meaning they are in debt: power, the ability to control the behavior of others, even against their will i. ii. People with more wealth tend to have more power.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers