COMM 220 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Verbal Abuse, Interpersonal Relationship, Conflict Management

43 views3 pages

Document Summary

Climates are formed by verbal and nonverbal messages. The messages can be either confirming (things are good) or disconfirming (things are bad) Endorsement: strongest (you agree with them, you do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e to fully agree (cid:449)ith so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e(cid:895) Acknowledgment: engaged (saying hi to someone then engaging in a conversation) Interrupting: stage hogging: ambiguous: multiple messages (saying maybe) Evaluation (judging) vs description (ex: your friend is terrible vs i noticed you friend was being mean to you) Certainty (cid:894)so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e"s per(cid:272)eptio(cid:374) that they are right(cid:895) vs provisionalism (this is what i think but im not sure (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause i do(cid:374)"t k(cid:374)o(cid:449) e(cid:448)erythi(cid:374)g(cid:895) Strategy (manipulation, setting someone up) vs spontaneity (open, honest) Control (one person trying to control another person, trying to get someone to see your way) vs problem orientation (looking at the problem and solving together) Neutrality (not taking a position at all, no real response) vs empathy (giving someone empathy. Superiority (managers believing they are better than you) vs equality (

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers