Did reading of Lamarck, Malthus and Lyell. They influenced Darwin thinking. Darwin
was responsible for Artificial Selection.
Human population tend to increase. Population get to big and run out of resources.
Geological change is very slow and created by natural processes. The Earth is old and
change can be gradual.
Ex: Mountains and Earthquakes.
Natural Selection (Darwin)
1. Natural Resources are limited (M. Contribute)
2. Fertility rates are high more = offspring are produced than the environment can
support. (M. Contribute)
3. Competition for limited resources.
4. All individuals are not identical. Variability exists and is heritable.
5. Some individuals will be better competitors than others.
6. Better competitors leave more offspring.
7. Competition of the next generation will change.
8. Earth is old, many generations have passed.
9. Gradual accumulation of small changes.
10. Slow, qualitative change.
Wallace sent Darwin a letter about Natural Selection. (both contributed to natural
Contribute to the pea plant. Explains inheritance.