Premium

3 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 203
Professor
Strow

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Fiscal Policy Recessionary Gap- raise government spending or cut taxes (expansionary) - Buy more goods at higher prices, demand for $ goes up - Increase in interest rates more foreigners want to put money in $ o Value of $ goes up- hurts exporters, helps importers - AD’’ chokes of AD’ growth because we decrease our net exports o Kickback gets bigger as US economy gets more integrated - “As the US economy becomes more globalized, fiscal policy becomes a weaker tool” Inflationary Gap- lower government spending or raise taxes (contractionary) - Buy fewer goods, prices are lowered- demand for $ falls and so does the interest rate value of currency goes down - Increase in net exports because of weaker dollar- creates inflation by going to AD’’ Need larger amounts of fiscal policy to get the same effect as the past- hurts long term economic growth Monetary Policy Inflationary Gap- Fed sells bonds banks call in loans - Decreases money supply, raise interest rates to choke off investment - Buy fewer goods at lower prices- demand for $ falls o Interest rates actually decrease a little bit because shift in money supply is larger than the shift in money demand - More people want dollars, fewer americans want to dump dollars- value increases- net exports decreasing decreases us to AD’’ - “As US economy becomes more globalized, monetary policy becomes a stronger tool.”  25% of economy is importing and exporting- do not need as much policy to change the economy Recessionary Gap- Fed buys bonds banks give out loans (expansionary) - Increase in money supply - Reduce interest rates to incentivize investment o Have to make sure it is good investment- cannot just have people building houses like we did in 2001 - Increase money demand- interest rates raise a little bit - Lower interest rates- fewer foreigners want it, Americans dump currency- value of $ falls cheaper dollar, increases net exports, increases AD - Increase AD- lower interest rates, lower value of $, export more things abroad General Equilibrium Theory- The reason that the dollar appreciates is because the European Central Bank is depreciating the Euro faster than we are depreciating the dollar monetary policy doesn’t really work in this case Recessionary Gap - Self-correction: increase AD- wages are shifted down as workers are put on sale - Fiscal: cutting taxes, raising government spending - Monetary- buying bonds Pros of Expansionary Fiscal Policy 1. Quick fix 2. Lowers unemployment 3. Politically connected do wel
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit