Organic Chemistry I Notes 8.26.13.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Wright State University-Main Campus
CHM 2110
Professor Ketcha

Organic Chemistry I Notes 8.26.13 ATOM: contains a nucleus composed of protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in an electron cloud. ATOMIC NUMBER (Z): the number of protons in an atom. All atoms of a given element will have the same Z. MASS NUMBER (A): the number of protons and neutrons in an atom. ISOTOPES: atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons, but the same number of protons. Different mass numbers. 1 Ex) H=hydrogen (p) 2H=deuterium (p+n) 3H=tritium (p+2n) ATOMIC MASS UNIT (AMU): exactly 1/12 of the mass of 12C (1.66x10 kg) ATOMI WEIGHT: average weighted mass of all naturally occurring isotopes’ atoms. ELECTRON SHELLS: Electrons are arranged in shells, with varying levels of energy. They work to separate opposite charges. st 1 Shell: 2 electrons nd 2 Shell: 8 electrons rd 3 Shell: 18 electrons MOLECULAR WEIGHT: sum of all weights of all atoms in molecule. HEISENBERG: claims that it is impossible to know the position of e- SCHRODINGER: the behavior of electrons in an atom can be shown by a wave equation, and the solutions of wave equations are orbitals. ORBITALS: the energy of the electrons and the amount of space between the outer shell and the atom. *s & p orbitals most important in ochem. PEARSON, n.d. Web. 12 Sept. 2013. . "Electron Configuration." - Chemistry Help. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Sept. 2013. . GROUND STATE ELECTRONIC CONFIGURATIONS: 2 2 - A
More Less

Related notes for CHM 2110

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.