PSY 1010 Notes for 8/28/13
Psychology: - the scientific study of thought and behavior
- Distinguishing between the science of psychology and popular (“folk”)
psychology. Ex) we generally like people who are like us, whereas people
usually think that opposites attract.
- Why take psychology? It makes you more aware of how people work,
and how you work, it’s effective in many career paths, and it helps you to
be able to relate to others better.
Cognitive Psychology: the study of thought and thinking.
Developmental Psychology: the study of how thoughts change across a lifespan.
Behavioral Neuroscience: Studies brain, behavior, and mind links.
Biological Psychology: shows how parts of the body affect behavior.
Personality Psychology: studies what makes people unique, and how that changes over
Social Psychology: Studies what makes people go “crazy,” and how others around you
Clinical Psychology: Studies treatment of psychological disorders and how to promote
Counseling: Deals with the everyday troubled mind and everyday problems.
Health Psychology: studies the role psychology factors influence health and illness.
Educational Psychology: Study of how students learn the best.
Industrial Organizational (I/O) Psychology: Uses psychology to understand how to be more
effective in the work study.
Sports Psychology: examines psychological factors with performance and participation.
Forensic Psychology: Uses psychology to understand why people do what they do. Includes
profilers and juries.
Origins of Psychology
Psychology of Empiricism: view that all knowledge comes from experience and
- 17 century
- Sir Francis Bacon (scientific method)
- John Locke (contributed to the NC constitution, Tabula Rasu (blank
slate-born with no knowledge about the world) Philosophy could never be counted as a credible science because it could not collect
data that could be tested, so psychology became the science of psychology, in a way.
Psychophysics of Human Perception:
- The first scientific form of psychology.
- Studies how mind interprets sensation through perception.
- Differs from the study of physics (Physics study the physical properties of
light and sound).
- Ex: psychophysics studies human perception of light and sound, rather
than the physical side of light and sound.
- Early scientists involved in this include: Ernst Weber, Gustav Fechner,
Hermann Von Helmholtz
- 1897: Wilhelm Wundt opened the first lab in Leipzig, Germany, and he
studied reaction time measurements. This was the year that is pegged as
a red letter date in psychology, the beginning of psychology as a science.
- G. Stanley Hall – found APA, American Psychology Association.
Established the 1 lab in the USA at John Hopkins University.
- Francis Cecil Sumner – 1 African American to earn PhD in psychology.