PSY 1010 Notes 9/4/13
I/O Psychology: what’s the point? : helps increase productivity, less accidents, lower probability
of resignation, less skipping work, which is all a part of increased job satisfaction. Job
satisfaction creates an incentive to work harder.
- Job Self-Esteem: the idea that you can control destiny at work.
- Engagement: the genuine feeling that the employee really matters to the company.
How well one identifies to their company.
- Contentedness: meets employee’s expectations, but no guarantee that they’re
engaged at work.
- Considerate Style: manager style, care about you, communicate clearly to you.
Show you how to fix things that are wrong in a nice way.
- Delegation: boss pulls their own weight instead of doing nothing but giving orders.
- Work physical conditions aids in the productivity of employees.
- Office landscape: plays a big role in how employees see others, if they’re more ugly,
positive, etc. Bring in color, light, workers, etc. to workspace to make it more
- Social loafing: groaning when needing to work together, how to make that stop
- Leadership: take one for the team, play huge role in job satisfaction.
Human factor psychology: focus on making things/prices and human error more useable.
Creates things for human