BIOL 206 Lecture 1: Zoology Lecture Notes JC

24 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 206
Professor
Ingrid L.Stefanovic

This preview shows pages 1-4. Sign up to view the full 24 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Jamica Cooper8252015T. Dobzhansky Was geneticist, he says nothing makes sense. Evolution define as slow change. The living world is always changing and it changes very slowly. Microevolutionchange win speciesMacroevolution the appearance of new species and disappearance of new ones1890Inheritance of acquired characteristics1858Natural Selection (Darwins Idea)Survival of the fittest and reproducing.1900Mutation1930Synthetic Theory=NeoDarwinismFrench Revolution led to the raise of Neapolitan. Neopolian appointed scientists to take care of the zoo. Lamarck Animals change over time. Ex: Giraffes that stretch their neck. (Use to have a short neck) He was wrong. You cant alter your DNA that something you do in your lifetime.WeismannDecided to test Lamarck theory. Did this by testing mice by cutting their tails off. Proved Lamarck wrong. Epigenetics study of protein and molecules that turn your DNA on and off. (what kind of prove Lamarck theory right.)Ex: Pregnant mother going through famine. Charles DarwinDid reading of Lamarck, Malthus and Lyell. They influenced Darwin thinking. Darwin was responsible for Artificial Selection. MalthusHuman population tend to increase. Population get to big and run out of resources. LyellGeological change is very slow and created by natural processes. The Earth is old and change can be gradual. Ex: Mountains and Earthquakes. Natural Selection (Darwin)1.Natural Resources are limited (M. Contribute)2.Fertility rates are high more = offspring are produced than the environment can support. (M. Contribute)3.Competition for limited resources. 4.All individuals are not identical. Variability exists and is heritable. 5.Some individuals will be better competitors than others.6.Better competitors leave more offspring.7.Competition of the next generation will change. Lyells Contribution8.Earth is old, many generations have passed. 9.Gradual accumulation of small changes.10.Slow, qualitative change.Wallace sent Darwin a letter about Natural Selection. (both contributed to natural selection)MendelContribute to the pea plant. Explains inheritance.
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit