PLSC 201 Lecture 10: Civil Rights

3 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
PLSC 201
Professor
Huffmon

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
92717 Civil Rights Protection by govt Positive rights o Freedom to, not freedom from Concerned with both opportunity and outcome (conflicts arise here) o Sometimes means treating people unequally Ex: foot race that cannot be restarted where one contender has a ball and chain around his leg. Halfway through, we realize it is not fair, so we take the ball and chain off, but now he is behind the other contender, but now any kind of push for the contender who was behind would now be unfair for the contender with no disadvantage 3 Important PeriodsEras in Civil Rights (1) Immediately after the Civil War o Rights for black people 13 Amendment: no slavery (unless it is a punishment for crime) 14 Amendment: extends citizenship, due process rights, and equal protection to the former slaves 15 Amendment: vote to black men o These were gutted by several things Whites only primary: only one party at the time (Democratic) Run by the elite whites from the black belts If there is no real competition, the democratic nominee won Poll taxes Pay a fee (tax) to be allowed to vote Due in spring (planting season) o This prevented black people and poor whites from being able to afford it because they needed a good harvest; had to choose between buying seed or going to vote Retroactive o If you did not pay last year and you can afford it this year, you must pay both Literacy tests Tests of understanding o Ex: take a section of the Georgia state constitution and have them interpret it to the liking of those in charge o Ex: test in Mississippi was running soap under water until it was gone and then saying how many bubbles were made o SC: 8 box voting every constitutional office must have its own ballot box and whatever ballot goes in the wrong box
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit