Premium

4 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
PLSC 201
Professor
Huffmon

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Public Opinion
If we are a democracy, then what the people want matters
But, our founders went out of their way to limit the impact of public opinion because
they were afraid
o Staggered elections
o Originally had an unelected Senate
State legislatures would vote, not the people
o Independent judiciary
o Electoral college implemented to kind of put a barrier between the public will at
large and law and policy
o The Bill of Rights
So, Founders created a system where public will could become public policy, but not a
system where the public will automatically would become public policy
Three Important Facts about Public Opinion
1. Public opinion may conflict with other important values.
Opinion that Klansmen are scum of the earth is also in direct conflict with values
that they have the right to free speech
We see this in the news constantly
2. Public opinion is very difficult to interpret
There is o oe puli
They are grossly uninformed
For every belief, there are always at least 10 people who hold it; this is assumed
Public opinion is often unconstrained
o Public wants mutually exclusive things
o Local taxes are classic for this
Better roads v lower taxes
At this point in the lecture he went in depth into a PowerPoint of his about public
opinion, basically just summarized that our opinion is flawed and showed how
difficult it can be to interpret
o The same portion of the brain used when junkies shoot up is what lit up when a
person hears an excuse about a contradiction from their politician of choice
3. Public Opinion is mediated by Political Elites
Most importantly: elites, especially office holders, help us to make sense and
understand facts because we do not always fully understand
This happens in two ways:
o Viewers opinions change
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Public Opinion If we are a democracy, then what the people want matters But, our founders went out of their way to limit the impact of public opinion because they were afraid o Staggered elections o Originally had an unelected Senate State legislatures would vote, not the people o Independent judiciary o Electoral college implemented to kind of put a barrier between the public will at large and law and policy o The Bill of Rights So, Founders created a system where public will could become public policy, but not a system where the public will automatically would become public policy Three Important Facts about Public Opinion 1. Public opinion may conflict with other important values. Opinion that Klansmen are scum of the earth is also in direct conflict with values that they have the right to free speech We see this in the news constantly 2. Public opinion is very difficult to interpret There is no one public They are grossly uninformed For every belief, there are always at least 10 people who hold it; this is assumed Public opinion is often unconstrained o Public wants mutually exclusive things o Local taxes are classic for this Better roads v lower taxes At this point in the lecture he went in depth into a PowerPoint of his about public opinion, basically just summarized that our opinion is flawed and showed how difficult it can be to interpret o The same portion of the brain used when junkies shoot up is what lit up when a person hears an excuse about a contradiction from their politician of choice 3. Public Opinion is mediated by Political Elites Most importantly: elites, especially office holders, help us to make sense and understand facts because we do not always fully understand This happens in two ways: o Viewers opinions change
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit