University College - Chemistry
Course
University College - Chemistry Chem 402
Professor
Barnes Alexander
Semester
Spring

Description
18 January 2017 L1: Statistical Thermodyamics and the Boltzman Factor I. Intro to Statistical Thermodynamics A. Thermodynamics 1. Thermo = temp/heat, dynamics = motion/change a. In a classical view, there is a continuum of energies b. In a QM view, there are distinct states (QM is universal) c. Looks at how the heat changes the occupation or distribution of energy levels d. Developed before quantum (empirically developed in 1800s) e. Laws are universal, based on empirical foundations, 0 Th Law + 3 Laws that describe all of thermo B. Statistical Mechanics 1. Links the QM and thermodynamics a. Properties of individual molecules and atoms from Q0 (H =0E) 0 b. Macroscopic thermodynamic properties, ∆G = ∆H – T∆S = RTlnK P c. Ex: useful when looking at the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) • P, pressure should just be the summation of all the tiny energies of each molecule of a gas hitting the walls of a chamber • Hugely impractical energy calculation, other ways of looking at with statistical mechanics 2. Goals a. To describe macroscopic thermodynamic properties in terms of microscopic atomic and molecular properties 3. Properties of a system can be described at two levels a. Macroscopic thermodynamic description (p, V, n, C , H, A, Gv…) b. Microscopic description that specifies the state of each molecule, can use classical or quantum mechanics, uses more than 10 variables, need to update every 10 -15s c. Either classical or quantum description is impractical • Statistical mechanics describes macroscopic mechanics in statistical terms (ie average, most probable results) II. The Boltzman Factor + Probability A. Probability and Energy States 1. Probability of a molecule in state I, with energy 𝜀 = P𝜀 𝑖 i𝑖 2. Independent probabilities a. Ex: 2 people toss a coin, each time a 50% change of being heads, so for two times (0.5)(0.5) = 0.25 change of both being heads b. Independent energies occur when they are independent degrees of freedom • P ij 𝑖 𝜀 )𝑗 (P𝜀 )iP𝑖 ) j𝑗 3. For energy states, think of as a function of each energy state… must use exponentials a. 𝑒 𝐶(𝜀𝑖+𝜀 𝑗 = 𝑒 𝐶𝜀𝑖+ 𝑒 𝐶𝜀𝑗 𝐶𝜀 b. Thus, P𝜀 ∝ 𝑒 − 𝑇 , P𝜀 should go down as energy goes up i 𝑖 i 𝑖 • As 𝜀 𝑖ncreases, there is a smaller probability of finding the molecule in that state (function drops off faster) • At low T, drops off slower (smaller area under curve), at colder temperatures you would not expect higher energies to be more probable c. The probability depends on the ratio of the energy to the temperature d. We expect high-energy states to be less probable than low-energy states, and that they become more probable at high T
More Less

Related notes for University College - Chemistry Chem 402

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit