Spring 2017

Department
University College - Chemistry
Course Code
University College - Chemistry Chem 402
Professor
Barnes Alexander
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
27 February 2017
L17: The Carnot Cycle and Third Law of Thermodynamics
I. Second Law of Thermodynamics
A. Entropy
1. Derivation by thermocycler path using an isotherm, adiabat, and constant volume
process to find   
was path independent
2. Derivation of Entropy as a State Function (Math Proof for Ideal gas)
a.     
b.      (P = nRT/V)
c.    

Now check to see if the cross terms are equal, if so, it is a state function, if
not, it is path dependent

  
 ?
  
these are not equal, and thus  is path dependent
d. Now, consider


  (divide through by T)

  
   they are equal, so this function is a state function

 , thus entropy is a state function
B. Heat Engines and Refrigerators
1. Clausius
a. It is impossible for any system to operate in a cycle that takes heat from a cold
reservoir and transfers it to a hot reservoir without at the same time converting
some work into heat
b. The left violates the 2nd law if |q1| = |q2|
Consider  
On a number line: have ∆Scold (q2/T2) which is negative, and ∆Shot (q1/T1)
Suni = ∆Scold - ∆Shot < 0 (violates second law!)
c. The right side is ok since work in will increase ∆Suni, for a reversible process,
Suni = 0
When work is added, ∆Scold is the same, but ∆Shot increases because work is
added for going into the hot reservoir
Since S = kln, as you ad heat there is a larger distribution of energies and
microstates, adding the same amount of heat again spreads out energy levels a
little bit more
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
27 February 2017 L17: The Carnot Cycle and Third Law of Thermodynamics I. Second Law of Thermodynamics A. Entropy 1. Derivation by thermocycler path using an isotherm, adiabat, and constant volume ð𝑞𝑟𝑒𝑣 process to find 𝑑𝑆 = 𝑇 was path independent 2. Derivation of Entropy as a State Function (Math Proof for Ideal gas) a. 𝑑𝑈 = ð𝑞 𝑟𝑒𝑣+ 𝑤 𝑟𝑒𝑣 b. 𝐶 𝑑𝑇 = ð𝑞 − 𝑝𝑑𝑉 (P = nRT/V) 𝑣 𝑟𝑒𝑣 𝑛𝑅𝑇 c. ð𝑞 𝑟𝑒𝑣= 𝐶 𝑣𝑇 + 𝑑𝑉 𝑣 • Now check to see if the cross terms are equal, if so, it is a state function, if not, it is path dependent 𝑛𝑅𝑇 𝜕𝐶𝑣 𝜕( 𝑉 ) • (𝜕𝑉 )𝑇= ( 𝜕𝑇 )𝑉? 𝑛𝑅 • 0 ≠ 𝑉  these are not equal, and thus ð𝑞 𝑟𝑒𝑣is path dependent ð𝑞𝑟𝑒𝑣 𝐶𝑣𝑑𝑇 𝑛𝑅𝑇 d. Now, consider 𝑇 = 𝑇 + 𝑣𝑇 𝑑𝑉 (divide through by T) 𝜕𝐶𝑣 𝑛𝑅𝑇 • ( 𝑇 ) = ( 𝜕( 𝑉 )) = 0  they are equal, so this function is a state function 𝜕𝑉 𝑇 𝜕𝑇 𝑉 ð𝑞𝑟𝑒𝑣 • 𝑇 = 𝑆, thus entropy is a state function B. Heat Engines and Refrigerators 1. Clausius a. It is impossible for any system to operate in a cycle that takes heat from a cold reservoir and transfers it to a hot reservoir without at the same time converting some work into heat b. The left violates the 2 law if |q1| = |2 | ð𝑞 • Consider 𝑑𝑆 = 𝑟𝑒𝑣 𝑇 • On a number line: have ∆S coldq2/T2) which is negative, and ∆Shot(q1/T1) • ∆S = ∆S - ∆S < 0 (violates second law!) uni cold hot c. The right side is ok since work in will increase ∆Suni,or a reversible process, ∆S uni= 0 • When work is added, ∆S coldis the same, but ∆Shotincreases because work is added for going into the hot reservoir • Since S = klnΩ, as you ad heat there is a larger distribution of energies and microstates, adding the same amount of heat again spreads out energy levels a little bit more • Can calculate ∆S as (S f S >i0) using the Boltzman equation • Higher ∆S for starting at a colder temperature: smaller heat added gives a larger difference in entropy at colder temperatures d. If we were to couple an engine (giving work output) and a refrigerator: • Left is the heat engine, right is the refrigerator • Overall ∆S uni= 0 since both a heat engine and refrigerator are reversible, and note that this machine wouldn’t function since neither process is irreversible/spontaneous • Overall positive heat since system accepts heat • Always think about microstate expansion/contraction with heat changes using S = klnΩ 2. The Carnot Cycle (a typical heat engine, ideal gases, all steps reversible) a. Cycle: • 1 2 is an isothermal expansion at T (h1t), ∆U = q + w1= 0, 1 = -w 1 1 𝑅𝑇 ln( )2 1 𝑉1 • 2  3 is an adiabatic expansion (q = 0), ∆U = w ` 1 C (Tv– T2) 1 𝑇2 𝑉2 −1 i. Reversible adiabat:
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit